Last week I made a tree and a stump from newspaper for a little house I am working on. I was pretty please with them so I wanted to share a tutorial for everyone to use. Originally I got the idea from some other dollhouse hobbyist's blog, I just don't remember whose it was.
1. Leikkaa sanomalehti talouspaperirullan levyiseksi. Jos teet myös kannon, lyhennä sitä varten talouspaperirulla ensin halutun mittaiseksi.
1. Cut a newspaper to the widht of a roll of a kitchen paper. If you are going to make a stump as well, cut the roll to the desired length for it first.
2. Roll the newspaper up and put it inside the kitchen paper roll. If you want to make a thinner tree trunk, leave the kitchen paper roll out and just use the newspaper. Then it is a good idea to use rubber bands or thread to tie the rolled up newspaper together.
3. Cut some wire to the lenght of desired branches of the tree. Put some of the wire on the top of the newwpaper roll and tie some wires to the trunk with rubberbands.
4. Cut another newspaper into strips of about 4-8 centimeters and mix some glue with water into a thin mixture. Dip the strips of newspaper one by one into the glue-water mix and wrap it around the tree trunk. Once you have put a couple of round of wet newspaper around the kitchen paper roll it will start to get wet. Then you can squeeze it a little together - at least from the top - in order to get a more natural shape. You will want to make some roots at a quite early stage so that the tree will stay standing up easier. Once the trunk is the widht you want to, start wrapping the paper around the branches and make them the lenght and widht you want to. Please note that you will have to shape the branches at this stage, once the glue has dried, you will not be able to move or twist the branhces any more.
5. Allow the glue to dry completely (will take a couple of days and paint. I use three different shades of brown to give the tree the most natural look. Here's how it turned out:
Minä tarvitsin projektiini lehdettömän puun, mutta yhtä hyvin tähän voisi vielä lisätä lehdetkin. Lehdellistä puuta varten itse ehkä lisäisin vähän enemmän pikkuoksia.
For my project I needed a tree without leaves, but you could, of course add some leaves. If you will add leaves, I think it might be a good idea to add more smaller branches as well.